The day of your surgery.
Help make the day go smoothly by following these guidelines.
1. Please bathe or shower prior to coming in for surgery. Remove all makeup, hairpieces, jewelry including body piercings, and nail polish.
2. Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as a sweat suit or an easily buttoned shirt or blouse in case you have a cast or bulky bandage after surgery. Wear comfortable shoes – please no high heels.
3. Leave all valuables at home.
4. Bring a list of your medication including dosage and frequency (both prescription, nonprescription and herbal) and/or all of your medication bottles.
5. Prior to surgery, you’ll need to sign a consent form for your operation. If the patient is under 18 years, a parent must accompany the minor and sign the consent form. If the patient has a legal guardian or medical power of attorney, they must provide proof ( bring legal documents) of guardianship and give consent.
6. For your safety, you must arrange in advance for a responsible adult to drive you home and to remain with you the first 24 hours after surgery. You cannot drive or be left alone.
7. Bring all necessary papers from your doctor’s office as well as all of your insurance cards. See the section entitled “Insurance and Your Bill” for more information. If you have an advance directive, living will or durable power of attorney, bring a copy with you.
8. Please arrive promptly for your scheduled appointment. Be sure to check with us the day before your surgery, if we have not contacted you, as surgery times can change.
9. Your family is invited to wait in our comfortable lobby where the surgeon will speak with them immediately following your surgery.
It’s never too late to ask questions. Don’t hesitate to call us.